August 23, 2020
It’s the 2020 “fire season” in California and throughout the Western U.S., and it’s the worst ever! We are in Aptos (and our clinic is in Monterey). This bay area has three huge raging uncontrolled fires that are taking down ancient forests and homes with a vengeance. We have many friends who have lost their homes, and thousands have evacuated. The air quality is horrible, and people are sealed up inside during a sweltering heatwave, most without air-conditioning. My heart goes out for everyone who has lost their home, I can’t imagine this tragedy.
Here I share useful things you can do to protect your lungs from wildfire smoke exposure, and also things you can do for your nervous system.
To protect and heal your lungs from smoke damage
All (or any) of these are helpful:
- Take an activated B-Complex, one twice a day taken with 1,000-2,000 mg vitamin C each time. May be taken with or without food.
- Stay inside when possible and use a quality HEPA air filter day and night until the fires clear.
- NAC (N-Acetyl Cysteine) 1 capsule twice daily during exposure to smoke. NAC protects against most of the compounds found in wildfire smoke. It acts as an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, a mucolytic, and it increases glutathione levels. Increasing glutathione levels is especially important as small particulates have been associated with a decrease of intracellular glutathione levels in animals and humans.
- Liposomal glutathione decreases lung inflammation and protects against lung damage. Oxidative stress uses up glutathione, so to ensure optimal levels, especially if you know that you have SNPs related to the glutathione pathways. (I use this for people with Covid19 as well). 2 pumps twice a day.
- The formula Wise Judge is excellent for moistening and nourishing lung health if you have been hurt by fire or smoke (or Covid). 2 Droppers or 2 tabs (2/3 of dropper) three times a day.
- The herb Butterbur is excellent for asthma.
For the stress and shock aspects:
- Bach Flower remedy Rescue Remedy is excellent.
- Adrenal adaptogens are excellent, and the ones that ALSO support lung health are Cordyceps and American Ginseng. I also love Empowered Eleuthero.
- For anxiety, Lavela (lavender extract) is excellent and is Passionflower.
Please reach out if you need help finding these, or for anything else.