This is part of a series on 13 root causes of weight loss resistance. Read about cause #1 which is Insulin Resistance, or #2 which is Inflammation. This post is about inflammation blocking weight loss. You can also watch it on this video:
This means that it’s hard to lose weight because your fat cells are storing toxins. Toxins get packed away in your fat cells to protect your organs, brain, and nervous system from damage. So it’s a smart thing, however, when you have excess weight and toxic burden inside your fat cells, your body doesn’t want to break open the cells, and release that toxic load into your system.
So what are toxins?
They are chemicals in our environment that we are exposed to, all of us, in the air, in the water, and in the ground. Things like pesticides sprayed on golf courses, parks, gardens, yards, and fields. A lot of toxins are what we call endocrine-disrupting chemicals, that get in your body and mess with your estrogen receptors and behave as bad (fake or xeno) estrogens. Think things like estrogen dominance, fibroid and cyst growth, and girls getting periods at a young age.
There are also heavy metals that can be toxins, chemicals in your body products, your cleaning products, in your furniture and carpet…. we could go on and on about sources of exposures that we have. It’s definitely a thing worth tackling, to clean up the things in your life that you can control. We can’t control everything, but there are things we can control. One example is what you put on your body and face – make sure that it’s 100% clean, with no damaging chemicals.
Why do toxins prevent weight loss?
If you have too much toxicity, your body does not want to break open fat cells. Why would you have too much toxicity compared to the next person? Well, part of it has to do with exposures, and part of it has to do with your body’s ability to detox – your detox function and capacity. Ideally, you want your body’s detox systems to keep up with your exposures. This means the net amount of toxins and chemicals that come into your body is something you can manage. Then they don’t have to get packed away in fat cells.
However, if you have a lot of exposures, or if your detox capacity is sluggish or impaired (which can be a genetic thing or can be related to your lifestyle, or nutrient status – all of which can be fixed or helped), then detox starts to get sluggish, not as efficient, and excess weight can get really stuck.
What to do?
We can assess your toxic burden and detox function in many different ways. Here are examples:
- Check liver and kidney function, as these are your primary detox organs.
- Assess gallbladder and gut function. Most of what your liver processes enter your GI tract with bile for excretion. You want smooth bile flow and exceptional elimination.
- Analyze genetic variations that contribute to poor detox.
- Assess methylation function and support with a methylation diet and lifestyle if needed.
- Check glutathione status, essential for detox.
- Boost detox support on a daily basis through foods, teas, and nutrients.
- Do a deeper detox on a regular basis. Read more about a Functional Detox or Cleanse.
- Test your toxic burdens, such as glyphosate, environmental chemicals, and heavy metals.
Want a personalized detox plan? Reach out, I can help you with this! Or let us know if you’d like to participate in my next group detox program.