Back in 2016 when the DUTCH Complete Hormone test was newly out, I began to use it frequently. Hundreds of tests later…. I still rely on the Dutch test for my female patients with adrenal and sex hormone imbalances. Do you wonder if you have hormone imbalances? Take this assessment and get my free Smart Woman’s Guide to Hormone Balance.
What happens with your results?
These results are instrumental to:
- Shed light on any hormone imbalances you have (adrenals, all sex hormones, and melatonin).
- Gear a treatment plan tailored to you, based on your hormone levels and also how you metabolize or break down your hormones.
Your treatment plan is all-natural and customized to you. It can involve precise “lifestyle medicine” which are adjustments in sleep, food, exercise, and stress management. We may find that the use of supplements, herbs, and low-dose bio-identical hormones are right for you.
What does the DUTCH Complete Hormone test measure?
Precision Analytical labs developed this unique test. It measures your hormone metabolites from dried urine samples. The hormones include:
- DHEA and DHEA-S
This test also measures your cortisol and cortisone rhythms and levels, and your estrogen metabolism pathways.
Why measure all these hormones?
There are lots of reasons!
- If you have “adrenal fatigue,” sleep or stress issues, testing your adrenal hormones and their rhythms gives specific information about how to handle these problems. Read more about the adrenal part of this test. We are specifically looking at your adrenal-brain communication, known as your HPA axis (hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal).
- With fertility problems, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), fibroids, PMS, irregular periods, painful periods, anxiety and moodiness, and endometriosis, this test is highly beneficial. It gives a complete picture of how adrenal and reproductive hormone imbalances contribute to these problems.
- If you use hormone replacement therapy, you want to monitor your levels. This test works uniquely well for oral progesterone, vaginal hormones, patches, pellets and injections. Note that this is only for hormone replacement therapy, not hormonal birth control pills!
- With sleep problems, it’s important to check melatonin. Melatonin can be low and related to your sleep problems, or it can be normal.
- You may have low DHEA levels. This is a “feel-good” hormone produced by your adrenal glands. When it’s low, it can cause fatigue, a decrease in muscle mass or bone density, depression, aching joints, loss of libido, and lowered immunity.
- You may have “estrogen dominance.” This is when the scales are tipped so that progesterone is low and estrogen is high. Estrogen dominance can be a factor in endometriosis, PMS, painful periods, fibrous breasts, fibroids, tender breasts, moodiness, and more. It can make perimenopause symptoms significantly worse.
- This test shows how you metabolize estrogen through your liver. If you don’t metabolize estrogen well, your risks of estrogen-related cancers such as breast, cervical and uterine cancer can increase.
The DUTCH test add-ons
New markers are now included on the Dutch test (as of 2018). These include:
- The three B vitamins that are most commonly low: B12, B6 and Folate.
- A marker for oxidative stress (“rusting” in your body, which damages your cells, your DNA, and your mitochondria).
- Neurotransmitters that show dopamine and first responder stress hormones (epinephrine and norepinephrine).
- Your need for glutathione, which is THE master anti-oxidant that you make. You will not detox well or use omega 3 fats properly with low glutathione. It’s often tanked if you have a high level of environmental chemical exposures, such as living next to a golf course or agriculture.
What does this test involve?
It’s easy! It comes in an envelope with little strips to dip in your pee, in the comfort of your home. You dip the strips, let them dry, mail them off. The instructions are very clear.
What does it cost and does insurance cover it?
Insurance does NOT cover this test at this time because it is “investigative.” The retail price is $399. If you’re my patient you get a discounted price.
Hormone blood tests are useful too, but they are not the same as this comprehensive test. Blood tests won’t measure your cortisol rhythms and estrogen metabolism. Blood tests will not track hormone replacement as thoroughly. They will not shed light on adrenal, cortisol, and sleep problems. Hands down, this test is THE most cutting edge, comprehensive, functional medicine hormone test.
Women who changed their lives with the DUTCH test:
Names and photographs are fictitious to protect these patient’s identities.
Postpartum and No Periods
Melanie (age 36) had not felt herself since the birth of her second child one and a half years ago. Her periods had not returned and she suffered from insomnia, fatigue, anxiety, and depression. She had no interest in sex, and symptoms of low thyroid (cold, tired, dry skin) even though her thyroid hormones were normal.
Dutch Test Results:
- Menopausal ranges for progesterone, low cortisol and testosterone, elevated stress hormones.
What Happened: We also discovered Melanie had blood sugar dysregulation and nutrient deficiencies, so we addressed these as well. We used dietary changes, herbs, and supplements.
Within three months Melanie got her period and her energy back, and her moods became much more stable and uplifted. Her skin got healthier and she felt warmer.
Estrogen Dominance and Toxic Load
Jasmine (age 29) had a myriad of hormone imbalance symptoms including anxiety, PMS, painful periods, breast tenderness, fatigue, irritability, and frequent migraines. The worst symptom was very frequent and heavy periods.
Dutch Test Results:
- Perfect adrenal hormones, low progesterone, high estrogen, and impaired detox.
What Happened: Jasmine’s primary root cause was estrogen dominance, and we also discovered nutrient deficiencies, anemia, and low beneficial bacteria in her gut. We used herbs, supplements, foods, cyclical progesterone, acupuncture, and focused detox.
Her first cycle on this protocol was significantly better! Each cycle improved, and after a year she had normal, pain-free periods, and migraine incidence dropped down to very rare.
PCOS and Infertility
Gemma (age 31) knew she had PCOS and had tried to heal it, but had not been successful going off the pill and getting regular periods. It was next to impossible to know if and when she was ovulating, and she really wanted to have several children, which was frustrating and upsetting.
Dutch Test Results:
- High testosterone, low progesterone, high estrogen, and high cortisol (we never know what the PCOS hormone picture is without testing).
What Happened: We knew Gemma had insulin resistance as well. We used herbs, supplements, diet and exercise hacks, and stress management training to adjust her hormone imbalances and to promote ovulation and regular cycles.
Within only three months, Gemma dropped 11 pounds and got pregnant!
Adrenal Fatigue and High Cortisol
Lisa (age 51) felt exhausted for about four months, since a demanding overseas work trip. She had a history of chronic stress from her job. She had high cholesterol and difficulty losing weight in spite of being on a low-calorie diet and doing spin class daily. And although she was on bio-identical hormone replacement therapy, she suffered from hot flashes, which were worse if she had her beloved glass (or 2) of wine at night.
Dutch Test Results:
- High cortisol. Estrogen and progesterone levels good, with good estrogen metabolism, so her hormone therapy was at the right levels and safe to continue.
What Happened: We made lifestyle modifications such as adding calories, incorporating meditation and acupuncture, reducing exercise, and keeping wine to the weekend nights. We also added herbs and supplements to regulate her adrenal (HPA axis) and lower cortisol.
Lisa’s energy improved immediately, she began to lose weight, and really enjoyed spinning less, eating more, relaxing more often, and feeling calmer.
Adrenal Fatigue with Infertility (Poor Egg Quality)
Judy (age 27) was extremely fatigued all day long and relied on strong coffee to get through the days. She felt that she never recovered after “burning the candle at both ends” during graduate school. She was ready to start a family but had not fallen pregnant yet. And she was worried about her ability to conceive as doctors had told her she had “poor egg quality.”
- Low cortisol, and low sex hormones, especially for her age!
Treatment: Herbs, supplements, and foods to nurture hormone production and get her adrenals back on track.
Within six months Judy no longer felt tired all day long. She had enough energy to work out again. And, 8 months later, she got pregnant!
Peri-menopause with Estrogen Dominance
Aparna (age 44) was a breast cancer survivor and was now experiencing early menopause symptoms because of the medications. She took Ativan for sleep and anxiety and wanted to get off it.
Dutch Test Results:
- Low estrogen with poor metabolism, high stress hormones, oxidative stress, need for glutathione.
What Happened: Aparna had estrogen dominance previously, but now estrogen was blocked. She had nutrient deficiencies, toxic burden, and immune dysregulation (usually the case with cancer). We used nutrition, supplements, focused detox, and herbs – all to support her immune system, build her vitality, and help her detox function.
Over the course of the next year, Aparna was able to wean slowly off Ativan, restore deep sleep, lessen her hot flashes, and reduce her anxiety. A year later she felt that she had recovered, and her vitality had returned.
Get Your DUTCH Test
These women demonstrate the vast differences in hormonal symptoms and in DUTCH test results. Each test result is unique. Each treatment or solution is also unique. Wonder what your hormone picture is? You can first order a DUTCH test, and then book a single consult with me for analysis and a treatment plan. Many women, including other medical and health practitioners, choose this option.
Have you taken the DUTCH test before and interested in retesting? Read about retesting here.